Monday 20 February 2023

Sri Lanka Frogmouth again


We were up early again and headed back to the same place that we went yesterday morning, near Urulanthanni, to try to pick up a few species which we missed yesterday. In that respect we succeeded and managed to add Malabar grey hornbill, brown shrike, drongo cuckoo, shikra and oriental honey buzzard to the list, as well as getting better views of some birds, particularly heart-spotted woodpecker.

However after being pushed out of the way as I photographed the Sri Lanka frogmouth, I told Vinod that I wouldn't be leaving the area around the homestead this evening, instead I'd prefer to go birding alone in the local area. I'm at the stage where I can't bear to be anywhere near most of the cliental of the guides here, most of whom appear to have no fields skills whatsoever. The irony is these very same people probably slate twitchers, yet what they are doing is 100x worse.





Blue mormon butterfly, apparently the second largest in India with a wingspan of 15cm.




No comments:

Post a Comment