Saturday 18 February 2023

Arrival at Birds Song Homestay, Thattekad, India


So for the middle section of my holiday to India, I've took off on my own and moved inland to Thattekad. I booked a birding guide, Vinod Narayanan, who runs Birds Song Homestay which is inside the famous Salim Ali bird reserve and has been described by some as the best birding site in India. I arrived at midday with temperatures touching 36'C and Vinod suggested that we leave it until 3pm before venturing out, and I was more than happy to comply. 

It's not a bad place to spend a few hours though, surrounded by jungle with a lake to one side. First bird I saw was a new one, green bee-eater on a wire just down the hill. Other birds included lesser whistling ducks, greater racket-tailed drongo, Oriental darter, purple-rumped sunbird and white rumped munia.





At least three bonnet macaques are hanging around the gardens, so named because of their odd hairdos with a central parting. Also the pink face.




Lots of impressive butterflies were flying down to a wet patch to drink, this one's a common jay.... it actually looks blue when it's flying.


Common Nawab.


Spot-swordtail.


Tailed jay.

No comments:

Post a Comment