Thursday 24 October 2019

Lake Monger, Perth


Lake Monger is next to Herdsman and though not as impressive it still has a decent array of species and is better for some species such as hoary-headed grebe and blue-billed duck. When I last visited the lake in July last year it was the middle of the Australian winter and I counted an impressive 300 blue-billed ducks, but today most of these birds had dispersed and I managed only about 20 birds of which all bar one were males. What I didn't realise until today was that the species breeds at Lake Monger and the highlight of the visit was finding this female with about six fluffy chicks. Really cute!



The bright blue bill is only present in the male.


Australian shelduck occur in decent numbers at Lake Monger.



Little corellas.



Not a great photo but my first southwestern snake-necked turtle.

No comments:

Post a Comment