Thursday 10 October 2019

Botanising in the Jarrah woodland of the Darling Range


...or perhaps the post header should be "enjoying the flowers of the Jarrah woodland", because there certainly wasn't much botanising going on. I can tentatively put some of these plants into families but I just don't know enough about them to identify them to species level. Does that really matter though, I'm content to say that the Jarrah woodlands are a very special place with a stunning array of flowers and I'm happy to leave it at that.  This post contains a selection of some of my favourites.











This is one I can identify (I think!). This beautiful plant is Many-flowered fringe-lily Thysantus multiflorus and is endemic to Western Australia.






Apart from the fact that they are in the middle of a woodland, the plant communities here have a very alpine feel, with many of them being small with brightly coloured flowers and basal rosettes. This plant almost looks like a saxifrage.




The jarrah tree is a type of eucalyptus, Eucalyptus marginata to be precise. The ground cover in these woodlands is sparse and comprises mainly small plants with just thinly scattered bushes, but there are also these Grass Trees, of which there are several species. Near Port Lincoln last year, we came across these growing to over 2m tall.








No comments:

Post a Comment