Monday 5 November 2018

Melbourne Royal Botanical Gardens


My first full day back in Australia and most of the day was spent getting my bearings and recovering from jet lag, not that I ever suffer much from the latter. This afternoon I had a walk through Melbourne Royal Botanical Gardens and came across many beautiful and interesting birds including my first new bird for the holiday, this stunning eastern rosella.



Rainbow lorikeets are not bad either. Wherever they occur they always seem to be far and away the commonest species.



Bell minors are nice enough looking birds, but can't compete with the parrots. They do however have an equally annoying call, from which they get their name! The park information boards refer to these as bell birds, which is potentially confusing because when I get to New Zealand I'm hoping to see another species which is called bellbird, but that's a New Zealand endemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment