Friday 16 November 2018

Westgate Park, Melbourne

Hoary-headed grebe

I "discovered" Westgate Park today. Its a couple of pools and some scrub  below the Westgate bridge in Port Melbourne. I was surprised at how good it was for birds, I recorded 37 species in a couple of hours. I was particularly pleased to be able to get some half decent photos of hoary-headed grebe, a species I have struggled with in the past. Westgate park is obviously not in the same league as the Western Treatment Plant, but if you're in Melbourne for a day or two with limited birding time available, it's a decent place to visit.





Australasian grebe.



White-headed stilt.


I've seen thousands of white-headed stilts, but this is the first time I've noticed that the black on its neck is on a ridge.






Chestnut teal


White-faced heron


White-plumed honeyeater.







No comments:

Post a Comment